Søstrene Hagelin (Norwegian kitchen)
- Location: Strandgaten 3
- Opening hours: Mon-Fri 09.00 - 19.00, Sat 10.00 - 17.00
- Main course: 10 kr - 159 kr
Want to try some traditional Norwegian recipes? Søstrene Hagelin is known for their fish cake (or "heart cakes" as we like to call them) recipe unchanged since 1929. They also offer fish wraps, fish gratin, fish soup, fish wraps and other specialties. A great start to experience what Norwegian cuisine has to offer.
Kafé Spesial (Italian kitchen)
- Location: Christies Gate 13
- Opening hours: Mon-Thurs 11.00 - 22.00, Fri-Sat 11.00 - 02.00, Sun 12.00 - 22.00
- Main course: 60-100 kr.
- Beer prices: 50 kr.
The sign outside of this restaurant, saying “why be skinny, when you can eat at Kafe Spesial”, gives a clue to the causal and friendly atmosphere this place has to offer. The restaurant is small, with a baroccian style and dark lit with candle light. They offer delicious pasta and pizzas, to a reasonable price, in addition to having a wide selection of beers.
Brød og vin (Chinese, Thai kitchen)
- Location: Christies Gate 12
- Opening hours: Mon - Wed 12.00 - 23.00, Thurs 12.00 - 00.00, Fri 11.00 - 00.00, Sat 13.00 - 00.00, Sun 13:00 - 23:00
- Main course: 99-150 kr.
The food is tasty, prices reasonable and you get good sized portions. This is a very popular place for students, with its close proximity to the University. The restaurant is spacious and ordinary-looking.
Pastasentralen (italian kitchen)
- Location: Vestre Torggate 5-7 (on the right side when you walk up from Torgallmenningen heading Johanneskirken)
- Webpage: www.pastasentral.no
- Main course: 100 kr
- Opening hours: Mon - Sat: 11:00 - 23:00, Sun: 13:00 - 23:00.
This italian place have been in Bergen for a long time. It’s especially known among students, because of the reasonable prices and tasty food. Here you can eat fresh pasta, and stone baked pizza. It’s also possible to order half portions, and then pay half the price.
Muntlig Skjenk og Spiseri (International kitchen)
- Location: On the top of the sib studentsenter, Address Parkveien 1.
- Main course: 100-150 kroner
- Opening hours: Every day: 11:00 - 17:00
This is the cafe/restaurant located in the corner on the top of the SiB student center in Parkveien. It is modernly decorated, with colourful and comfortable chairs/sofas. You can go here for just a coffee, smoothie, beer or dinner. The food is tasty and decoratively served. They offer student prices.
Prego (international kitcen)
- Webpage: www.pregobergen.no
- Opening hours: Mon - Thurs 11.00 - 23.00, Fri 11.00 - 23:30, Sat 14:00 - 23.30, Sun: 14:00 - 21.00.
- Location: Fjøsangerveien 32 (By the Bybanestop at Danmarksplass)
- Main course: 164-289.
This is a café and restaurant in Bergen, it is based on the concept of local, good and easy raw materials with inspiration from France, Italy and Spain. The food is exciting and fancy decorated. They also have a good sample of drinks. The restaurant is very cosy and there is not much noise from the traffic, although it is located on Danmarksplass.
Zupperia - international kitchen (Asian and international kitchen)
- Location: Torget 13, Vaskerelven 12, Vågsallmenningen 1, Sartor Storsenter
- Opening hours: usually between 12-22 (check the webpage for exact information).
- Webpage: www.zupperia.no
- Prices: Soups from 94 NOK and up, and main courses from 168 to 280 NOK.
Zupperia is the name of three very popular restaurants in Bergen, since you can get a good, big portion meal to a really good price! Delicious soups (very popular is for example Tom Ka Gai) and salads in the price range 100-160 kr, and because of their size these can be considered a main course. The blue mussels on the menu is also very good and reasonable. There are other main courses, for example stakes, spare ribs, chicken/duck curry that costs around 200-260 kr. When you enter one of their restaurants, just go to the counter and ask for a table. All of the 3 restaurants are nice-looking, decorated in dimmed colours.
Ichiban Sushi restaurant and takeaway (Japanease kitchen)
- Location: Håkonsgaten 17
- Phone: 55 90 04 60
- Webpage: www.ichibanbergen.no
- Opening hours: Mon closed, Tue - Sat 12:00 – 21:00, Sun 14.00 - 21.00
- Prices: 8 sushi pieces 80-90 kr.
Was given the price “best sushi in Bergen” by the newspaper Bergens Tidende three years ago. You can order take-away from both, and the one in Nygårdsgaten also has a sit-down restaurant. The sushi prices are great, check out the menu! The service is good and they are very quick to prepare the food. The restaurant in Nygårdsgaten also have other types of Japanease food in addition to sushi.
- Location: Vaskerelven 14
- Opening hours: 12:00 - 03:00 every day.
- Main course: 100-182 kr.
- web page: http://www.pingvinen.no/
A small and cosy bar and restaurant where they serve traditional Norwegian food. Because of its size there are a limited amount of tables, so be smart to call ahead and book one (see webpage). "Kjøttkaker", "fiskegrateng" and "lapskaus" are always on the menu. In addition there are 4 other dishes that alternate every week. On Thursday they serve the popular Norwegian dish called "raspeballer". They have fresh fish after the season, "fårikål" every fall (a traditional meal with lamb and cabbage in Norway) and "pinnekjøtt" (a Norwegian christmas dinner) in december. They also serve certain dishes until 2 o'clock, like "lapskaus", soups or fenalår with potato salad.
They also have a good variety of Norwegian and imported beer.
Naboen (international kitchen)
- Location: Sigurdsgate 4.
- Opening hours: All days from 3 pm
- Main course (basement kitcken): 128- 200 NOK.
- Web page: http://www.grannen.no/no/ and phone 55 90 02 90
Swedish restaurant, split between the fancier street-level restaurant, and the basement which is referred to as "Nabokjelleren". The downstairs (which is much cheaper) has a bar atmosphere where they serve more reasonable prices - most of them typical for Scandinavia. It can get quite packed since its quite popular with young people in Bergen - so don't arrive too late, and if you do: be prepared to wait for a while.
Arti (Indian/Pakistani kitchen)
- Location: Kong Oscarsgate 29
- Opening hours: Mon-Sun 15.00-22.00.
- Main course: 180-200 kr.
- Web page: http://www.arti-indisk-restaurant.no/.
Several times Arti has been awarded the prize of "Best Indian Restaurant" in Bergen by one of the biggest newspaper in the Region: Bergensavisen (BA). The review stated that "Arti serves really delicious indian food, the service is always friendly and the interior gorgeous and very pleasing". Sounds good to us!
Kroathai (Thai kitchen)
- Location: Nygårdsgaten
- Opening hours: Mon - Fri: 11:00 - 22:00, Sat - Sun: 13:00 - 22:00.
- Main course: 165 - 200 NOK. (Vegetarian choices: 155 NOK)
- Web page: http://www.kroathai.com
It is a very ordinary restaurant with good food for a reasonable price. As they themselves state: Krothai is where you eat good, quickly and reasonably. They serve Thai food, and can be used both as a simple sit-down restaurant, or they are big on Take-Away.
Inside Rock Cafe
- Location: Vaskerelven smauet 7.
- Opening hours: Mon - Tue: 14:00 - 23.00, Wed - Thurs 14.00 - 01.30, Fri - Sat: 12:00 - 03:30, Sun: 12:00 - 23.00.
- Web page: http://www.insiderock.org/
- Main course: 140-200kr.
This is really a metal pub/nightclub, but that is known for having really good burgers. They also have a "Suicide Burger" - which is a stunning 1,3 kilos, and if you eat it within the hour you get it for free. (This must be ordered a day in advance). Students get 20% discounts on all burgers.